OUR MISSION:

EMZ is a non-profit, fitness organization dedicated to inspiring members of the community to unite in becoming healthy, fit, and active by providing and promoting free and low-cost fitness classes and health education opportunities.

EMZ Instructors:

Beti Tua'efe, Betsy Vakapuna, Billie Sosi, Dana Rossi, Lila Latu, Liu Vakapuna, Maki Yamagata, Meliame Vaikeli, Satomi Biggs, Sela Langi, Sela Misinale, Sinai Pauni, Sisilia Misinale, Twig Larkin

Donations kindly accepted :)

Friday, September 7, 2012

Beautiful Betsy

I saw this beautiful picture posted on Facebook and I figure, since it's on Facebook, it's free game, right?  I thought I would share this picture and share a little bit about Betsy.  She's probably going to kill me for this, but oh well.

I met Betsy over 20 years ago when we worked together.  She was someone that was easy to get along with and could always make you laugh.  In fact our little group that sat together at work got separated by our supervisor because we were laughing too much.  She eventually left the company I work for and moved on, but throughout the years we kept in touch.

A few years ago I ran into her over at our local rec center.  We chatted for a bit, caught up on each other's lives and then discussed Zumba...my new favorite workout.  From there I don't remember exactly what happened, but I started to notice her in the Zumba class I was taking.

A couple years later I decided to become an instructor and started teaching the early morning classes.  Betsy started to come out on a regular basis.  It really boosted how I felt about being a brand new instructor.  Even with years of taking Zumba classes, the whole instructing thing was totally different.  For me, seeing someone who takes Zumba classes elsewhere catching my class, made me feel like I was an 'ok instructor' for them to come out on a regular basis.

Several months into it, I went on vacation and was going to cancel class.  Beti & Betsy stepped in and taught  the class while I was out.  Not sure if that's what did it, but from that day on, they were excited and signed up for the Zumba instructor training.  By the way, they did an awesome job subbing while I was out.

Betsy brings a lot of fun and spunk to our classes.  She is our merengue queen.  Whenever I need a merengue in the playlist, I throw in one of her songs.  Leave it to her to introduce the whistle to our class.  First time she brought it, I think she startled all of us on stage.  She surprises our guests with it.  It's kind of funny 'cause they are totally caught off guard.  She definitely knows how to work & get the crowd cheering.   She is always happy...seriously she is.  You can count on her to cheer you up.  She's always looking for the good in others and she helps keep our team balanced when we have our 'moments'.

Something many may not know about her...and I hope she doesn't mind me sharing this...Betsy has rheumatoid arthritis.  There are days when she teaches and is in a lot of pain.  She doesn't let it stop her.  In fact there was a time when we told her to take a break and rest up.  That is the kind of person she is, always thinking of others before herself. 

A long with volunteering her time each morning to teach Zumba, she works from home and is a mother of 8...gosh, I hope I have that right.  I know she has lots of kids and some are grown adults, which you would never believe are hers 'cause she looks young!

Now that you know a little bit about her and how far she's come, I hope it will inspire & motivate you.  She is an inspiration to me!

Love ya 'B'!!!


\
Proud of ya & keep it up!
You are almost there!

No comments:

Post a Comment