OUR MISSION:

EMZ is a non-profit, fitness organization dedicated to inspiring members of the community to unite in becoming healthy, fit, and active by providing and promoting free and low-cost fitness classes and health education opportunities.

EMZ Instructors:

Beti Tua'efe, Betsy Vakapuna, Billie Sosi, Dana Rossi, Lila Latu, Liu Vakapuna, Maki Yamagata, Meliame Vaikeli, Satomi Biggs, Sela Langi, Sela Misinale, Sinai Pauni, Sisilia Misinale, Twig Larkin

Donations kindly accepted :)

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Water, yes Water!!

So, we hear a lot about drinking water. We do need water intake for our health. I think we already posted benefit of drinking water here before or on our FB page, so I am not going to re-write again here. But, to be honest...drinking water is one of my struggles.  It's not that I rather drink soda or sugary drink, I just don't drink as much as I should. Also, even I was raised in tea-culture (hello! I can't even tell how many kinds of tea we have in Japan), I didn't drink much as I grew up. It could be because I was able to intake liquid through soups and other food. So, when I moved in Utah, that was the first thing I noticed in my body. "I am so thirsty and my skin gets super dry here!!"

When I started to change my water intake, it was winter and I absolutely HATED drinking water out of fridge (built in water filter in the fridge). I thought, "How am I going to keep drinking boring water with out feeling like I have to rush to bathroom every 3 min.???"

One thing that helped me was getting a good water bottle. In fact, I had two of them. One for refiled and keep it on counter so it's not so freezing cold water, the other for 'drinking.' When one is empty, I take the one on the counter and refill the empty one and put it on the counter.  I also got a water bottle with straw (Camelbak is one example). Why straw? Because it helps me to keep sipping the water instead of gulping the entire glass of water. (not to mention that I spill a lot...and that's another story for another day, hahaha).  Before I even know it, drinking with strew was helping me to intake water gradually and easily.  The entire bottle was gone quite faster than I use for a glass of water and I didn't feel so much frequent to go bathroom.

Some people likes ice cold water, and others don't.  Unless I am working out, I usually drink room temperature water for my body to intake easily.  When I was taking CPR/First Aid certification, that was one of the things I learned about dehydration.  I was told by my instructor, "Instead of giving cold water, room temperature water helps."

But do we HAVE to restrict ourselves to only water?? I feel like no...or it's up to you.  Especially after I take 64 oz of water daily, sometimes I want to add a little flavor such as lemon, honey with a little bit of apple vinegar (this one I learned from my mission to prevent heat exhaustion), essential oil (I use Doterra oil), or crystal light where there is no sugar.  Just to change things up.  Now that I wrote my little tips of drinking water... I'd like to know, what's yours??

Satomi Biggs      

1 comment:

  1. I definitely have that same problem. I don't drink anything else except water, I just have a hard time drinking it because it seems boring to me. So, like you suggested, a friend of mine suggested getting myself a "sexy" water bottle, lol. So I now have two water bottles that I rotate throughout the day. It had to be something that worked for me, something that I really liked. After I got my water bottles I had to figure out how I like to drink my water. Kind of how people "take their coffee". I love my water really cold with fresh mint leaves in it. I think it's really refreshing, or I use lemon or limes a lot too. You just have to figure out what you like and what works for you. Experiment and have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete